Nawab Muhammad Bahadur Khan (1748 A.D To 1758 A.D)

THE FIRST NAWAB SAHIB, BAHADURKHAN I. Known As SHERKHAN From 1748 A. D. to 1758 A. D. Just as Salabatkhan was the bravest and most capable of his brothers in the family of Safdarkhan so was BAHADURKHAN in that of Salabatkhan.

In 1719 A. D. BahadurKhan was appointed Foujdar ( Governor ) of the neighboring places of AHMEDABAD City. He discharged his duties creditably. BAHADURKHAN performed a long series of important deeds in Gujrat, in discharge of his duties to the Empire. In consequence of this he was exalted to the title of SHERKHAN by the Imperial Government in 1721 A.D. In 1728 A. D. he was appointed Nayab Foujdar of JUNAGADH in his father’s place. In 1732 A.D. he was promoted to the post of Foujdar of BARODA.

In appreciation of his excellent services he was created NAWAB by the Emperor Muhammad Shah, Subsequently in 1734 A. D. he was appointed the Foujdar of VIRAMGAM. At this time the affairs at JUNAGADH being in a state of confusion, the Government dues were not paid regularly and the Marathas devastated the country. Thereupon in 1738 A.D. Sherkhan was sent there as Nayab under Imperial Orders. The Nawab spent five years in settling the Kathiawar territory and having subdued rebels brought peace in the country. Afterwards he went to AHMEDABAD and other places for the purpose of helping the Subas. When Sherkhan saw that Gujarat was going from bad to worse and was on the verge of falling into the hands of the Marathas, he did not think it advisable to tarry there longer. Therefore handing over WADASINOR to his son SARDAR Muhammad KHAN, he went to JUNAGADH in the year 1748 A. D.

During his absence from Junagadh the administration was conducted by his wives LADLI BEGAM and AMINA BEGAM. Sherkhan died in 1758 and was buried in the Mausoleum opposite the CHITAKHAN Mosque in Junagadh. Sherkhan served for 30 years at various places in Gujarat. That time was very critical, because many battles were then fought between the Muslims and Marathas, and every officer was aiming at the highest authority. In the beginning Sherkhan obtained the FOUJDARI and JAGIR of JUNAGADH because of his having rendered valuable services to the Emperor. At Junagadh he established order, the country was prosperous and the subjects happy. Through his own efforts he subjugated all the states in Kathiawar and exacted a tribute from them since called “ZORTALABI” which continued till 1947. He was religious, just and magnanimous. He gave Jagirs to Syeds, learned men and others deserving them. He was so impartial that he also bestowed Jagirs upon Hindus. He accorded permission to a Kathi named WALA WIRA to construct a fort and assigned him the Paragna of Jetpur as Jagir on condition of remaining faithful. It still continuous in his family.

He gave KOYLI as Jagir to the Mahant of Koyli. Upon his brothers SHERZAMANKHAN and DILERKHAN he bestowed the Taluka of BANTWA as Jagir. It is now divided into three smaller Talukas. Of these two BANTWA and SARDARGADH (or Ghidar) are in the possession of the descendants of SHERZAMANKHAN. Each consists of twelve villages. But BANTWA is now subdivided into many small parts. The third, MANAVADAR, is in the hands of the descendants of DILERKHAN. It consists of 24 villages. Nawab Sherkhan had two Begams ( wives ). One of them was AMINA BEGAM, daughter of Muhammad Khan, Jagirdar of Kaira and the other LADLI BEGAM, daughter of Sardar Muhammad Khan Ghori, Foujdar of Baroda. The Nawab Sahib had four sons. The eldest of these MAHABATKHAN, became the Nawab Sahib of JUNAGADH and the second, SARDAR Muhammad KHAN, Nawab of WADASINOR.

 

Nawab Muhammad Mahabat Khan (1758 A.D To 1774 A.D)

THE SECOND NAWAB SAHIB MAHABATKHAN I. 1758 to 1774 A. D. Nawab Sahib Sherkhan was succeeded by Nawab Sahib MahabatKhan. VERA VAL, PATAN and other Parganas formed part of the Jagir of NEMATKHAN LODI under Imperial Orders. The inhabitants of Patan frequently raised their heads but Nematkhan being powerful quelled the petty disturbances. After his death the Nawab Sahib’s aunt ( father’s sister ) SULTAN BIBI brought Vera Val into her possession, and later on in the year 1762 A. D. SHAIKHMIYAN KAZI, of MANGROL, wrested it from her. While he was extending his power in that region, the Nawab Sahib, for political reasons, thought it proper to amalgamate Vera Val into his own possessions. Consequently in 1764 A. D. he led his armies against Vera Val and obtained of it. At a distance of 31 miles from BHAVNAGAR is situated a beautiful place called TALAJA.

It was under the possession of a Koli tribe, named Baria. They were plunderers by profession. They used to plunder the ships of the Englishmen also. They had acquired so much power that even the Raja of Bhavnagar was afraid to oppose them. At last when the Raja was tired of their depredations, he sought the help of the Nawab Sahib. Thereupon the latter sent an army by which the Kolies were subdued. They gave a large sum as compensation and agreed to practice plunder no more. As Sheikh miyan of MANGROL frequently failed in his allegiance to the Nawab Sahib, an army was dispatched against Mangrol, in 1770. The town was closely besieged and bombardment commenced. The Sheikh realizing his danger agreed to cede half of his Paragna. The Miyanas of MALIYA under Morbi and Waghers became so turbulent as to harass the armies of the GAEKWAD and JAM. As they were under the suzerainty of the Nawab Sahib, he drew his armies for their subjugation, and defeated them. They paid a heavy fine and agreed to owe their allegiance to Nawab Sahib in future.

THAKOR KUMBHAJI JADEJA of GONDAL was found to extend his wealth and influence to such an extent that his men had the audacity to attack the Nawab Sahib’s army stationed for guarding the frontier. Therefore the Nawab Sahib sent an army to punish him. But he apologized and paid a heavy fine. This happened in 1770 A. D. In 1773 A. D. the people of the neighborhood of SUTRAPADA complained to the Nawab Sahib that the Zamindar CHAND PATNI oppressed the poor and plundered the inhabitants of the neighboring villages. Thereupon an army was sent against him, which wrested SUTRAPADA from him and he fled to Gorakhmadni. In 1774 A. D. the THAKOR of WANKANER implored help from the Nawab Sahib, against the depredations of the Kathis under his rule. Thereupon an army was sent there, which established order. In 1774 A. D. the Nawab Sahib died at the age of 40 and was buried in the Makbara ( Grave-Yard ) of his ancestors. The Nawab Sahib was very brave and religious. He suppressed the depredations of the Kolies, Mianas and Wagers by bringing them under subjection. He was so good that he often rendered help to the neighboring States of BHAVNAGAR, JAMNAGAR, GONDAL and others in KATHIAWAR.

Nawab Muhammad Hamid Khan (1774 A.D To 1811 A.D)

THE THIRD NAWAB SAHIB HAMIDKHAN I. 1774 to 1811 A. D. Nawab Sahib MahabatKhan was succeeded by Nawab Sahib Hamidkhan in 1774 A. D. He was then 8 years old. In this year his paternal uncles Mukhtarkhan and Adilkhan the Jagirdars of Bantva took possession of the fort of Vanthali. An army was sent from Junagadh against them, whereupon they returned to Bantva disappointed. In the vive of Nawab MahabatKhan UNA and DELVADA were under the suzerainty of the Nawab Sahib. A Thana was established there and it paid tribute, but in 1781 A. D. both were annexed to the Nawab Sahib Hamidkhan’s territory. In 1706 A.D. Fateh Muhammad, the Diwan of Cutch attacked the territory of the Jam Sahib, who sought the aid of the Nawab Sahib.
Thereupon he himself marched in person with an army. But peace being concluded between the two belligerents, he directly marched against the Raja of BHAVNAGAR, who for some time had been doing mischief in the Nawab Sahib’s territory. A hard battle was fought wit the Raja between Waral and Dhasa, in which the Nawab Sahib was victorious. At last the Raja apologized and gave a fine of R.S 115000. In 1811 A. D. Nawab Sahib died at the age of 45 years and was buried in the ancestral grave-yard near Chitakhan mosque. He was of polished manners, active, gentle, intelligent and imposing appearance. He was religious and observed fasts in the month of Ramzan. He loved to read the holy Quran. He was so brave that he himself took part in the battlefield and punished mischievous people. He was peace-loving and tolerant. He helped the Thakor of Morbi, Porbandar, GONDAL, BHAVNAGAR and Sayla in their calamities.

Nawab Muhammad Bahadur Khan II (1811 A.D To 1840 A.D)

FOURTH NAWAB SAHIB BAHADURKHAN II. 1811 to 1840 A. D. Nawab Sahib Hamidkhan was succeeded in 1811 A. D. by his son BahadurKhan who was 16 years old. In 1812 A. D. while returning from the invasion of Jamnagar, the Gaekwad encamped at Lalvadh eight miles from Junagadh and demanded a Nazrana from the Nawab Sahib for his installation of the Gadi. Upon this the latter made preparations for an encounter. In the meantime the Nawab Sahib’s Diwan Raghunathji having gone to the camp of the Gaekwad promised the grant of a few villages, upon which he went away. But the Nawab Sahib never intended to part with the villages. Therefore Raghunathji resigned his post. He was succeeded the Jamadar Omar Mukasam as Diwan. During his regime a pressure was brought to bear on the Diwan who ceded the Parganas of AMRELI and KODINAR without the sanction of the Nawab Sahib. In 1815 A. D. Diwan Omar Mukasam began to be insubordinate. He was a
big nobleman. He acted too much against Nawab Sahib, who thereupon called in the aid of his particular and trusted friend COL. BA ANTYNE, the Resident of Baroda.

He was accompanied by the Commanding Officer of the British army in Kathiawar. These officers gave to Omar Mukasam two villages, viz. Timdi and Pipalia and 150000 Koirs, upon which the whole affair was calmed. In 1820 A. D. the Gaekwad asked the British Government to collect for him his dues from the States in Kathiawar on account of tribute. This established British power in Kathiawar, which goes by the name of AGENCY. The officers who were appointed for this purpose were then styled POLITICAL AGENTS. Capt. Barnwell was the 1st Political Agent.. In 1821 A. D. Nawab Sahib asked the British Government to collect for him the ZORTALABI in Kathiawar and deduct one fourth out of the collections on account of expenses. In 1830 A. D. His Excellency the Governor of Bombay visited Rajkot. The Nawab Sahib went there and both had a cordial meeting. In 1831 A. D. during his official tour through the State the Nawab Sahib called at Koyli. The head of the Math accorded a hearty welcome to His Highness, upon which an elephant, a palanquin, a torch and two villages-Bodka and Ranpur-were bestowed upon him. In 1837 A. D. His Highness abolished the practice of Sati from the State. In 1840 A. D. the Nawab Sahib died at the age of 45 and was buried in the ancestral grave-yard, near Chitakhan Mosque. The Agency having been established in Kathiawar there was peace in the State.

Nawab Muhammad Hamid Khan II (1840 A.D To 1851 A.D)

Fifth Nawab Sahib HAMIDKHAN II…..1840 A.D. to 1851 A.D. On the death of the Nawab Sahib BahadurKhan, a dispute among his four sons about the succession. But HamidKhan being the eldest and having been appointed heir-apparent during his father life-time succeeded to the Gadi in 1840 A.D. The claims of the others, except MahabatKhan, not being tenable they accepted some villages as Jagir. But MahabatKhan persisted in his claims. He claimed to be descended from a Babi mother. But this time he has to be disappointed. As the Nawab Sahib was 12 year old the administration was in the hand of his mother Dadibu Sahiba of Kutiana. But really the power was wielded by Jhabar Seth Bhatia and HabibKhan Sherwani of Kutiana. The latter’s brother NathuKhan exercised great influence in all the affairs. In household affairs he played the master. In 1841 A.D. the marriage of the Nawab Sahib with the daughter of the Talukdar of MANAVADAR and with that of the Nawab Sahib of Wadasinor was celebrated with great pomp and splendor.
An expense of seven lakhs of rupees was incurred. The Kathis Harsuvala and Bhuja began to plunder and ruin the State. To subdue them the Nawab Sahib sent troops. Bhuja was captured and Harsuvala’s apology was accepted. Thus the subjects got immunity from plunder and rapine.

MahabatKhan having still clung to his claims in 1842 the Nawab Sahib placed his friends under surveillance. Lalbhai and his wife Chehatboo were the chief confidents of Maji Sahiba. Mother of MahabatKhan. Both these loved MahabatKhan from his infancy. Therefore this time they also shared the hard treatment. But they spared neither life nor wealth. Sheikh Bahauddin began to go to Mahabat Khan with his paternal aunt Chehatboo both being of equal age such a strong friendship grew up between the two that they lived together night and day. Both were circumcised together. Gradually by his ability and goodness, Sheikh Bahauddin became a constant companion of MahabatKhan. Who could then divine the inscrutable ways of God that later on MahabatKhan would be the Nawab Sahib and Sheikh Bahauddin in the capacity of his Vazir would contribute so much to the happiness and prosperity of the subjects.

Nawab Sahib being a minor the administration was conduct by the people of his mother’s confidence. This caused a considerable deficit in the State treasury. The Nawab Sahib was duly apprised of the evil doing of these enemies of the state. He was himself very intelligent. Therefore he made-up his mind to banish the evildoers, in consultation with the Political Agent. When NathuKhan and Jhabar Seth came to know of this, they apposed the Nawab Sahib but were captured. They were however released later.

In 1851, A.D. Nawab Sahib visited the shrine of the DAVALSHA at Amran under Jamnagar State accompanied by large retinue. This visit was a great source of frame in Kathiawar. During his excursion, the Jamsahib of Jamnagar and the Thakor Sahib of Morbi treated Nawab Sahib with great hospitality.

Nawab Sahib conduct the administration ably and dealt impartial justice. He personally heard case and gave decisions. The cavalcade was stopped to give a hearing to complaint of the poor. Once the Nobel, men of the state made a petition that it was not proper to stop the royal cavalcade to listen to the complaints of the low. His Highness aid that it was the duty of the ruler to hear the complaints of his subjects; otherwise, he would be held responsible before God on the Day of Judgment.

Nawab Sahib was handsome, of imposing appearance and of a sparing constitution. He knew Persian, Urdu and Gujrati well. He loved to play chess and fly kites. He also loved shooting and was and excellent expert.

Nawab Sir Muhammad Mahabat Khan II K.C.S.I (1851 A.D To 1881 A.D)

SIXTH NAWAB SAHIB SIR MAHABAT KHAN II from 1851 A. D. to 1882 A. D. When Nawab Hamid Khan died, Mahabat Khan was at Radhanpur On the day Hamid Khan died, Mahabat Khan saw a dream that his brother the Nawab had died. This area was related to his constant companion Lalbhai, who was then with him. As the deceased Nawab Sahib had no offspring, COL. LANG, the Political Agent of Kathiawar, was called and requested to stay at Junagadh during his illness. As the next hear to the Gadi was Mahabat Khan, his mother Maji Sahiba who was then at Junagadh sent messengers to fetch him. Among those dispatched for the purpose were Hussain Sawar and Virji Luhana.

The latter was then a dooli-bearer, but afterwards he attained to great power. With his help his brother Keshavji also attained to great influence. Immediately on the receipt of the message Mahabat Khan came to Junagadh and ascended the Gadi. He was then 14 years old. Therefore a Council of Regency was appointed, with the advice of the Political Agent, COL. Lang. The council consisted of Muhammad, Talukdar of Bantva, Anantji Diwan and Habib Khan Sherwani. Jamadar Saleh Hindi was appointed to superintend the deceased Hamidkhan’s palaces. Although the State was administered under the above arrangement, the household affairs were governed independently by the mother of the Nawab Sahib. The Nawab Sahib now appreciated the past services of his old attendants and Sheikh Bahauddin was appointed Chief of the personal Risala (Bodyguards.)

The Nawab Sahib was a strong advocated of education. In 1852 he established an efficient Gujarati school. The practice of giving villages on contract then prevalent was the source of great hardship to the poor Ryot. The Nawab Sahib abolished this system and appointed Vahivatdars in the place of contractors. The Nawab Sahib was married with great pomp to Ladli Begum Sahiba sister of Sheikh Bahauddin in 1753 A. D. Previous to his coming to the Gadi, the Nawab Sahib was married to Kamalbakhte Sahiba, the daughter of the Nawab Sahib of Radhanpur. As a result of the anxious desire of the Nawab Sahib to spread education among the masses, he started an Urdu school and a Sanskrit Pathshala in 1854 A. D. In 1856 A. D. Ladli Begum Sahiba bore to him a son named BAHADUR KHAN, but form his infancy to the time he attained the throne, he was called by the name of Bapumian. In 1858 A. D. the Nawab Sahib had another son named RASUL KHAN by his other Begum Noorbibi Sahiba. In 1858 when the Nawab Sahib attained his majority, the Council of Regency was terminated and the full authority of the state was handed over to him. Anantji, who was Diwan previously and a member of the Council was appointed as Diwan. After sometime Syed Ahmed Edroos was appointed Co-Diwan. Subsequently a native of Cutch named Dungersi Khatri was appointed Diwan in 1860 A. D.

During 14 months of his administration only for four months, matters went on pretty well. Afterwards he was removed for not being able to manage affairs satisfactorily. He was succeeded in 1861 A. D. by Nagar named Gokalji Jhala. At that time sole power was in reality in the hands of Keshavji Luhana. Keshavji brother Virji was Khanji Karbhari. Both these brothers conducted the administration according to their will. Their relatives who were formerly dooly-bearers were placed in charge of big Talukas ( Mehal. ) They allowed in-adequate allowance even to the Nawab Sahib. They were devising schemes to disturb the relations between the Agency and the States. These Lubana brothers were ignorant of the method of keeping the account. Therefore their accounts were kept irregularly. They were in secret alliance with the Waghers who made depredations in the States in those times. These doings of theirs displeased the Nawab Sahib. The Political Agent was also indignant. Therefore Keshavji was summoned to Rajkot and kept under surveillance, and was sentenced to ten years imprisonment for having assisted the Waghers dacoits. Virji committed suicide while in confinement at Junagadh Uperkote by throwing himself down from a window and thus escaped trial.

The State and Agency authorities were so disgusted at this State of things that at last the Nawab Sahib determined to assume the reins of Government himself. Therefore arrangements were made with the help of the Agency to take away all the power form the Nawab Sahib’s mother. As soon as the Nawab Sahib assumed the powers he dismissed all the Luhana from the State service. At this time the Political Agent was also at Junagadh. Sheikh Bahauddin rendered useful help to the Nawab Sahib in this matter, upon which the Nawab Sahib was pleased to confer upon him the office of the VAZIR and the village of AGATARAI as a Jagir in the year 1862. And later on in 11868 A. D. in appreciating of faithful and responsible services, he was given Bhiyal as a Jagir. With a view to encourage female education in the estate, H. H. opened a Girls school at Junagadh and gave it the name of his Begum Ladli Begum Sahiba. For the purpose of dispensing impartial justice courts were established on the model of the British courts and they were named the Hazur Adalat and Sardar Adalat, and many other improvements were also introduced. The Waghers who were a turbulent race and lived upon plunder were the inhabitants of Dwarlka under Gaekwad territory, In the year 1858 they rose in rebellion and created a disturbance in the whole of Kathiawar. Two or three years after they took refuge in the Gir forest. Some British officers with the Vazir and Saleh Hindi captured the Waghers alive. Subsequently this disturbance was quelled, in which His Highness rendered valuable help to the British Government .

Shortly after this the Mianas declared hostilities against Junagadh but the State and the Agency presented such a bold front that they were compelled to surrender. In 1864 A. D. the ceremony of the circumcision of Shahzada BahadurKhan was celebrated with becoming show at an expense of three lakhs of Rupees. A new Mehal was formed of the territory obtained at the termination of inquiries in a suit between the State and Jetpur Kati’s. The village of Nayagadh or Nayagadh was fixed upon as the headquarter of this Mehal. In the year 1879 A. D. a wall was built round it and Police Lines were also built there. In order to afford facility of communication to the subjects the Sourashtra Post was established in 1864 A. D. on Saleh Hindi was a loyal servant of the State, He rendered useful services to His Highness the Nawab Sahib by displaying bravery against the Waghers. He was at once a soldier and a statesman. In appreciation of his services. His Highness conferred upon him the village of HANDALA as a Jagir. And later on in 1868 A. D. Wanda Val was granted as a Jagir. In 1866 A. D. the Registration and Municipal Departments were founded for the extension of trade noteworthy improvements were made in the port of Vera Val. A European Engineer was appointed, One the shore a wall 1846 ft. long and 11 ft. high was erected and a lighthouse 50 ft. high was built. These works cost more than four lakhs. In 1866 A. D. an Agricultural Exhibition was held at Rajkot. His Highness the Nawab Sahib attended it.

The Nawab Sahib was married to Sardar Bakhte, daughter of the Talukdar of Ranpur in 1866 A. D. In 1867 A. D. the Nawab Sahib had a third son Adilkhan by his Begum Choti BIBI Sahiba. In this year while passing from Karachi to Bombay, the Governor of Bombay halted at Vera Val for a day. At this time the Nawab Sahib, the Heir-apparent BahadurKhan and the Vazir were present there. The distinguished guest was by the Nawab Sahib. The examination of pleaders was started and orders were issued for the appointment of Vakil of Seven years standing to the post of Munsif. A library known as BAHADUR KHANJI LIBRARY after the name of the Prince BahadurKhan was established. A printing press was also founded and the publication of the State Gazette called the DASTURAL-AMAL was started every month containing official orders, appointments etc. In 1867 Munshi Khairatali Khan who was a Vakil of the Jodhpur state was appointed Tutor to the Shahzada. He was well versed in English, Persian, Arabic and Urdu. He had spent 7 years of his life in London. His salary was R.S. 800 per month which exceeded that of the then Diwan. There was an exhibition at Broach. It was attended by the Gaekwad and the other Ruling Chiefs. His Highness sent Shahzada BahadurKhan as his representative. The Shahzada on his outward and return journey was treated with great honor by the Jagirdars and Talukdar. In 1869 A.D. His Highness being invited by the Political Agent went to Rajkot to witness the horse races. In 1870 A. D. Darbar was held at Bombay in honor of his Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh the second son of Her Imperial Majesty Empress Victoria. His Highness accompanied by the Shahzada, Vazir and others set sail from Vera Val to attend this Darbar. Among the States of Kathiawar Junagadh being then the only First Class State, the Prince honored His Highness with the privilege of a private visit. At Bombay His Highness gave large sums of money in charity. His Highness the Aghakhan and others entertained the Nawab Sahib at large parties In commemoration of His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh’s visit to India, Nawab Sahib placed a munificent sum of a lakhs of Rupees at the disposal of the Governor of Bombay for works of public utility in Kathiawar, For this act of generosity, the Government warmly thanked the Nawab Sahib. In 1870 A. D. a Rajkumar College was opened at Rajkot for the education of the Kumar’s, out of funds collected from the Chiefs of Kathiawar, His Highness contributed the largest amount towards this fund. The opening ceremony was performed by His Excellency the Governor of Bombay, before a large and distinguished gathering on 16th December 1870 A. D. where the Nawab Sahib was also present. Immediately afterwards His Excellency visited Junagadh, where he was richly entertained by the Nawab Sahib. Then His Excellency went to the Gir Forest where he bagged five large lions.

Upon this, His Highness deputed the Vazir Sahib to congratulate His Excellency. In 1871 A. D. Shahzada BahadurKhan joined the Rajkumar College at Rajkot. In appreciation of his successful administration, Her Imperial Majesty the Empress was pleased to confer upon His Highness the exalted title of K. C. S. I. The ceremony of the investiture, was performed at Rajkot before a large Darbar, which was attended by the Ruling Chiefs and the British Officers. The people of Junagadh celebrated the occasion with befitting splendor. In 1873 A. D. the Heir-apparent was appointed Police Commissioner of the State. He organized the State Police on the model of the British Police. His marriage with the daughter of the Bantva Talukdar and with that of the Ranpur Talukdar was celebrated with great éclat at a cost of 7 lakhs of Rupees. In 1874 A. D. Saleh Hindi was appointed Diwan. In December 1874 A. D. Nawab Sahib visited Rajkot as he was invited to a Darbar convened by the Governor of Bombay. Afterwards on the 11th January 1875 A. D. the Governor of Bombay paid a visit to Junagadh. In 1875 A. D. on a visit of His Royal Highness the Prince Edward to India, His Highness the Nawab Sahib went to Bombay accompanied by a party including the Vazir and Diwan. The third marriage of the Shahzada was contracted with the daughter of the Nawab Sahib of Wadasinor. Late Diwan Gokalji Jhala was appointed Co-Diwan. In 1877 A. D. Her Imperial Majesty the Empress Victoria assumed the exalted title of KAISER-E-HIND. An imposing Darbar was held in honor of the occasion at Delhi, ( on the 1st January 1877 ) in which among other Indian Chiefs, His Highness the Nawab Sahib attended and appointed the Heir-apparent as Regent at Junagadh during his absence. From Delhi he went on a tour through India and returned from Bombay to Vera Val by Steamer. His return was marked with great rejoicings at the capital. The Government of India was pleased to enhance the honor of the Nawab Sahib from 11 to 15 guns and to confer upon him a gold medal and a Royal flag. Diwan Saleh Hindi was invested with the title of KHAN BAHADUR and Diwan Gokalji Jhala with that of RAO BAHADUR,.

His Excellency the Governor of Bombay visited Junagadh on the 20th November and halted for 2 days. The reception was a grand one. In 1878 A. D. the marriage of Shahzada RASULKHAN Sahib was celebrated with the daughter of Sarbulandkhan Babi of Bantva with fitting show. Shahzada Edulkhan joined the Rajkumar College for study. On the death of Rao Bahadur Gokalji Jhala, Saleh Hindi was appointed the sole Diwan. As a reward for his faithful services to the State Diwan Saleh Hindi was decorated with the insignia of C.I.E., in 1879 A. D. His Highness the Nawab Sahib invested the Sheikh of Mangrol with the powers of 2nd class Chief under the Junagadh State. In 1880 A. D. His Excellency the Governor’s visit was marked with due respect. The bridge outside the Kalva gate was named Fergusson Bridge after him. In 1881 A. D. Shahzada SHERZAMANKHAN was born to Shahzada RASULKHAN. The Political Agent visited Junagadh. In 1882 A. D. His Highness the Nawab Sahib after a rule of 31 years died. A fine mausoleum called the MAHABAT MAKBARA was erected over his tomb. The Nawab Sahib was a strict observer of prayers and fasts. He was magnanimous and liberal. He loved to see wrestling and was an excellent rider. He frequently came out on horse back. If he noticed a stranger in the town, he made inquiries about his name and whereabouts. If he found him worthy, he would help him.

He was very bold. He confronted an infuriated elephant with only a light cane. He kept a tiger cub near his bed. When it grew up and made mischief it was quieted and made to couch by the Nawab Sahib from the wild nature of the animal. Therefore they frequently reasoned with him to keep it away from him. To this he replied that it was his pet and would not harm him . One day it grew savage and uncontrollable and upon urgent entreaties of the nobles was put into a cage. He was very just. After his death he was honored as a saint and acquired the epithet of Mahabat Saint, His tomb is even now decorated with offerings and his death anniversary is celebrated every year as that of a saint. He conducted the administration admirably and gave considerable encouragement to agriculture and commerce. He got many mango trees planted through out the State. The prosperity of the capital advanced. Rest-houses, hospitals and roads were constructed. The narrow streets were broadened. A large square and a clock tower were put up opposite to the Aina Mehal. Buildings like court houses, Sardarbagh Banglow, Jail, BahadurKhan High School and Public offices were erected. These cost 40 lakhs of Rupees.

During his absence from Junagadh the administration was conducted by his wives LADLI BEGAM and AMINA BEGAM. Sherkhan died in 1758 and was buried in the Mausoleum opposite the CHITAKHAN Mosque in Junagadh. Sherkhan served for 30 years at various places in Gujarat. That time was very critical, because many battles were then fought between the Muslims and Marathas, and every officer was aiming at the highest authority. In the beginning Sherkhan obtained the FOUJDARI and JAGIR of JUNAGADH because of his having rendered valuable services to the Emperor. At Junagadh he established order, the country was prosperous and the subjects happy. Through his own efforts he subjugated all the states in Kathiawar and exacted a tribute from them since called “ZORTALABI” which continues to this day. He was religious, just and magnanimous. He gave Jagirs to Syeds, learned men and others deserving them. He was so impartial that he also bestowed Jagirs upon Hindus. He accorded permission to a Kathi named WALA WIRA to construct a fort and assigned him the Paragna of Jetpur as Jagir on condition of remaining faithful. It still continuous in his family.

He gave KOYLI as Jagir to the Mahant of Koyli. Upon his brothers SHERZAMANKHAN and DILERKHAN he bestowed the Taluka of BANTWA as Jagir. It is now divided into three smaller Talukas. Of these two BANTWA and SARDARGADH (or Ghidar) are in the possession of the descendants of SHERZAMANKHAN. Each consists of twelve villages. But BANTWA is now subdivided into many small parts. The third, MANAVADAR, is in the hands of the descendants of DILERKHAN. It consists of 24 villages. Nawab Sherkhan had two Begams ( wives ). One of them was AMINA BEGAM, daughter of Muhammad Khan, Jagirdar of Kaira and the other LADLI BEGAM, daughter of Sardar Muhammad Khan Ghori, Foujdar of Baroda. The Nawab Sahib had four sons. The eldest of these MAHABATKHAN, became the Nawab Sahib of JUNAGADH and the second, SARDAR Muhammad KHAN, Nawab of WADASINOR.

Nawab Sir Muhammad Bahadur Khan III G.C.I.E (1882 A.D To 1892 A.D)

SEVENTH NAWAB SAHIB SIR MUHAMMAD BAHADURKHAN III. 1882 A. D. to 1892 A. D. In 1882 A. D. Nawab Sahib MahabatKhan was succeeded by his son BahadurKhan who was 26 years old. In 1883 A. D. Diwan Saleh Hindi resigned his post. He had resigned once before also. But he was not relieved. This time, however wing to his advanced age and indifferent health the Nawab Sahib accepted the resignation. The Diwan was Brave. The State and the British Government had already appreciated his faithful services. After his retirement the people, both Hindu and Muhammedan of Junagadh and the Mehal gave him addresses. He was succeeded by Desai Haridas Viharidas of Nadiad as Diwan; while Purshotamrai Sunderji Jhala was appointed Nayab Diwan. H.E. the Governor of Bombay visited Junagadh and laid the foundation of the MAHABAT MADRESSA.

His Highness the Nawab Sahib contributed one lakhs of Rupees towards the Art and Industrial Exhibition of Bombay.

In 1885 A. D. a building for the Central Jail was erected. An office called the WALI DAFTAR was created for administering the estates of Jagirdars minors; for it was found that in many cases such Jagir were not managed in the interests of the manors during their minority by their relatives. There is a village named Inaj under PATAN. This was given as Inam to a Makrani Jamadar a century ago. In the previous year this Jamadar daughter’s descendants named Ali Mohammed and Vali Mohammed ousted the son’s descendants from the estate. They also made default in the payment of state dues. At first mild measures were taken against them, which served only to make them more mischievous. Therefore a police party with two pieces of cannon was sent against them. Major Scott, the Political Officer of Sorath accompanied this party Efforts were killed. Vali Muhammad with his nephew Abdur Rehman and others were captured. Kadarbakhsh, who goes by the name of Kadar escaped with some men and commenced depredations. Advertisements were published for their surrender. Some were killed and others were taken alive. Kadarbakhsh fled to Karachi, where upon being challenged by a policemen, he attacked and killed him. For this offence of murder he was captured by police and tried and sentenced to death.

The widow of the policeman who was killed by Kadarbakhsh got an annual pension of Rupees 60 for life from the state. The captor of Kadarbakhsh also was rewarded handsomely. This disturbance took two years to be quelled. In 1886 A. D. H. E. the Governor of Bombay paid a visit to Junagadh and opened the MAHABAT MADRESSA. This institution was built by Vazir Sahib at the expense of Rs. 80,000 in memory of his master late Nawab Sahib Sir MahabatKhan II for the free education of the backward community of Muslims. Moreover to perpetuate the memory of the same Nawab Sahib, Vazir Sahib liberally, placed the sum of Rs. 30,000 at the disposal of the Bombay University for the foundation of a scholarship, known as MAHABAT FELLOW. SHIP to be awarded to the Mohammedan Graduates of the University. The proposal was made in 1887 A. D. and finally accepted by ht Government and University in 1889 A. D.

In 1887 A. D. Jubilee celebrations of Her Imperial Majesty the Empress were observed and a Darban was held at which the Nawab Sahib recounted in detail the benefits that accrued to India from Her Imperial Majesty’s rule. Some prisoners were set free and the arrears of revenue were remitted from agriculturists. Students were given scholarships and rejoining was made in various other ways. In this year H.R.H. the Duke of Co naught, who was Commander-in-Chief of the Indian army visited Rajkot where H. H. the Nawab Sahib also went to meet him. Towards the end of this year H. E. Lord Reay, Governor of Bombay paid a visit to Junagadh and performed the opening ceremony of the newly constructed railway line from Jetalsar to Vera val. In commemoration of his visit, a gate was put up in the city wall opposite to the Railway Station and was named the REAY GATE, but it is now commonly known as the Station Gate. A large clock has been fitted up at the top of the gate and upon the arch of the gate a marble bust of Lard Reay has been set.

In 1889 A. D. construction of stone steps had begun in order to facilitate ascent upon the Girnar by collecting money by means of a lottery. In the same year, stone steps were also begun to be constructed for the Datar ( upper part.) In 1890 A. D. H. R. H. Prince Victor, grandson of Her Imperial Majesty the Queen Empress paid a visit to Junagadh. This was the first royal visit here. At first His Royal Highness went to Season for lion-shooting. Then he came to Junagadh. This visit was marked by brilliant illuminations. In commemoration of this visit the foundation of a Leper Asylum was laid by the Prince at the foot of the Datar Chhilla and the building has been named the Prince Victor Lapper Asylum after him. A troop of trained horsemen called the IMPERIAL LANCERS was organized this year for loyal aid to the Imperial Government whenever necessary. In recognition of the Nawab Sahib’s munificent gifts to the public and introduction of reforms in the State he was decorated with the insignia of G.C.I.E. by the Imperial Government. The ceremony of investiture was performed at Rajkot by H.E. the Governor before an imposing gathering of the Chiefs of Kathiawar. This auspicious occasion was celebrated at Junagadh by the Nawab Sahib by holding a Darbar at which remission of various taxes was announced. A noteworthy feature of the Darbar was that Khairatali Khan, the Nawab Sahib’s Tutor, was received on arrival by the Nawab Sahib by standing up and the whole assembly followed suit. As the Nawab Sahib had no issue he very much loved his brother RASULKHAN’S son SHERZAMANKHAN. Therefore he was sent to be educated at the Rajkot Rajkumar College in 1891 A. D.

In this year on the termination of 30 years service, Vazir Sahib tendered his resignation. But the State being in need of a man of his experience and ability it was not accepted and he was again saddled with the heavy responsibilities of the State. This very year saw the opening of a Veterinary Hospital and a Paddock for producing an excellent breed of houses. In this year the Nawab Sahib died at an earl age of 36 years, and was interred in the Mahabat Makbara. During this regime an impetus was given to the onward progress of education in the State. Railways were constructed which facilitated the extension of trade and agriculture. Large sums were spent on works of public utility. Railways cost 60 lakhs and other building 25. More than eight lakhs were given away for public works at Rajkot, AHMEDABAD and Bombay. His Highness married five wives in all but none bore him any issue. Shahpur, a place at a distance of 8 miles from Junagadh was a favorite resort of the Nawab Sahib, There a palace and garden were made. The inhabitants of the place were also the recipients of considerable princely favors. H. H. was very handsome and loved shooting. He had also a passion for flying kites, wrestling and elephant fighting. He was a skilled horseman and a liberal minded ruler.

Nawab Sir Muhammad Rasul Khan Babi G.C.S.I (1892 A.D To 1911 A.D) A.D)

NAWAB SAHIB SIR MUHAMMAD RASULKHAN……….1892 A.D. TO 1911 A.D.

Nawab Sahib BahadurKhan, having left no issue, was succeeded but his brother RASULKHAN at the age of 34 in the year 1892 A.D. In the year 1893 A.D. the Nawab Sahib twice visited the important towns of India. During his absence the administration was conducted by Vazir Sahib Bahauddin bhai,. As a mark of is reverence for his master Diwan. Haridas constructed a fountain opposite the Mahabat Makbara at his won expense and dedicated it to the memory of the deceased Nawab Sahib BahadurKhan. As the Agency handed over the administration of the educational department to the State. An officer was appointed at its head. The Nawab Sahib introduced such reforms in this department that it excelled those in other states of Kathiawar. H.E Lord Harris, the governor of Bombay, went to Sasan (Gir) for lion-shooting via Vera Val. After a stay of five days there, H.E. came to Junagadh. He met with a grand reception befitting his high position. Junagadh was gaily decorated and the illuminations and fireworks were noteworthy. H.E, opened the leper hospital at the foot of the Datar Hill, which was constructed in memory of H.R.H prince Albert victor. H.E expressed satisfaction at the excellent manner in which the state was administered by H, H. the Nawab Sahib

Mr. H.D Rendall ESQR, I.C.S Administrator of Junagadh (1911 A.D To 1920 A.D)

Mr. H.D Rendall, I.C.S………..From 22nd Jan 1911 A.D to 1920 A.D. Soon after the sad demise of Nawab Sahib sir Rasul khan, owing to the minister of the present Nawab Mahabat khan III, the administration by taken up by Agency Officials. Mr. H. D. Rendall, I. C. S., the Junagadh State at Rajkot was appointed the administrator of the state, who took charge on 6th February .the new hospital which was built outside the town was utilized as the administrator’s Office. Mr.. Rendall went home on leave from the 15th Nov. 1911, so Mr. L. Robertson, I. C. S., the political advisor of H. E. the governor of Bombay, took charge as the administrator. On the 12th December, there was a Coronation Darbar of his imperial Majesty the king Emperor George Owing to illness; the Minor Nawab Sahib could not attend the Darbar at Delhi.

But the event was fittingly throughout the State.

Funds were collected to erect a fitting memorial of this unique event and out of the funds the Coronation Memorial Zenana Hospital was built apposite to the RasulKhan general Hospital.

The scheme for the division of the Bhavnagar – Gondal – Junagadh – Porbandar Railway system into integrates was decided upon. Consequently the JUNAGADH STATE RAILWAY became a separate integral system of April 1911 A.D.

The Sunnat Shadi of the Minor Nawab Sahib was celebrated in March 1912 A.D. with great rejoicing Tudor – Owen, I. C. S. was appointed tutor and guardian to the Minor Nawab Sahib (on 25th January), opening of the Junagadh – Bikha – Line was performed by Mr. J. Sladen. Agent to the Governor in Kathiawar 19th may. The spacious building opposite Jumma Masjid called Circle, was turned into Law Courts. So the open of the court performed by Mr. J. Sladen, Agent to the Governor in Kathiawar on the 18th July.

H.E lord Sydenham Clarke, governor of Bombay visited Junagadh in February 1913. A.D. H performed the opening ceremony of the coronation memorial Zenana hospital for parda-nashin ladies.

The administrator, with the sanction of the governor of Bombay, sent the minor Nawab Sahib to England companion Sheikh Mohammed Bhai in company with the Minor chief of Palitana under the personal care of Mr. Owen and in March 1913, A.D.

Mr.. Rendall returned from leave and took charge as Administrator from Mr. L. Robertson 1913. A.D. During this time, Mr. Ismail Abrehani was the Private Secretary to Her Highness the Ma Sahib of the Minor Nawab Sahib.

In 1913 A.D. local Silver Kori coinage was stopped, but the copper Dokdas at a fixed rate of exchange for an Anna has been continued, in the interest of the poorer classes.

In 1914 (26th April), Minor Nawab Sahib returned from England. Afterwards he and his companion Sheikh Mohammed Bhai were entered at the Mayor College, December Mr. W Bladen, who had been recently appointed as the Head Master of the BAHADUR KHANJI was appointed as Tutor and Guardian to the Minor Nawab Sahib.

Vazir Sahib Sheikh Bahauddin died on 14th July (1914) and was buried in the Mausoleum built by himself near the Mahabat Makbara.

On the 4th August (1914) war broke out between Great Britain and Germany. Imperial War Relief Fund was opened I the Junagadh State.

In 1916 April Minor Nawab Sahib left the Mayo College, Ajmere and stayed at Junagadh. Special arrangements were made for instruction in religious and Urdu, under Mr. M.A. Fakih, the Sessions Judge of the State, He and this companion accompanied the Administrator in his tours to the State, and inspected and noted everything that they saw, Minor Nawab Sahib visited the State institution and inspected departmental work and quarters in each Mehal.

In Feb. 1916 A.D. His Excellency Lord. Willington G.C.I.E, Governor of Bombay, visited Junagadh. During his stay in Junagadh, His Excellency laid the foundation stone of the new building of the BAHADUR KHANJI High School.

The First Session of the Kathiawar Muslim Educational Conference was held at Junagadh in the Mahabat Madresa compound in October (1916) under the President ship of Dr. Ziauddin Ahmed, present Vice Chancellor of the Muslim University , Aligarh Agent to the Governor in Kathiawar attended the opening ceremony of the conference. It was organized by Mr. Ghulam Mohamed Munshi Bar-at-Law.

An Agricultural and Industrial Exhibition were held at Junagadh in February 1917 A.D. there were also Fancy Fair and the Munster Lucky Bag Lottery.

The gratifying news that on New Year’s day 1st January 1918. His Imperial Majesty the King Emperor was pleased to confer salute of thirteen guns on His Highness the Nawab Sahib and a personal salute of fifteen guns to the present Nawab Sahib was received with great celebrations throughout the State.

The construction of the Vera Val Talala section of the Vera Val UNA Extension was completed (on 2nd April 1918).

With the cordial concurrence of the Minor Nawab Sahib, through the Administrator, this State signified its desire, by undertaking an annual contribution of five lakhs of rupees to the Imperial cause during the continuance of the War, which offer has been great fully accepted by the Supreme Government.

The Minor Nawab Sahib and the people of the State joyfully welcomed the close of the Great War in the righteous triumph of the allied cause. It was most unfortunate that the time of victory was overclouded by other disasters in the shape of influenza epidemic, the onset of famine etc.

With a view to celebrate the joyful occasion of the signing of the peace treaty, December 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th were declared as general holidays.

On 31st March 1920, His Highness the Nawab Sahib was invested with his powers and thus ended the Administration.

The problem of Vera Val Port has several years engaged the anxious attention of His Highness Sir Rasul Khan, the late Nawab Sahib. So during the administration, the harbor improvement scheme has been begun in 1914. Up to 31st March 1918 A.D. Rs.5 lakhs were spent.

State lands are held on four different tenures. Under the Administration, it was decided to introduce cash assessment. In the beginning, assessment rates had been sanctioned for a period of only five years in 1912 A.D. and then it was fixed for 20 years.

His Highness Col Nawab Muhammad Mahabat Khanji (1920 A.D To 1959 A.D) G.C.I.E, K.C.S.I , H.M Queens Elizabeth II Coronation Medal, N.Q.A,

The Nawab Sahib is His Highness Sir MahabatKhan III G.C.I.E., K.C.S.I. who is ninth in succession and seventh in decent from His Highness the Nawab sahib BahadurKhan 1. the founder of the Babi family of Junagadh in 1748 A.D. Nawab sahib was born in 2nd august 1900, and succeeded to the Gadi on 22nd January 1911 A .D. but His Highness being then a minor the state was placed under the British Administrator. He visited England in 1913-14 and receives his education at the mayo college, Ajmere.

The investiture of Nawab sahib has been eagerly looked forward by five lakhs of His Highness subjects and had excited attention far and wide. The auspicious ceremony was performed on Wednesday 31st March 1920 A.D. by Mr. E. Maconochie, C.S.I., I.C.S., and Agent on Governor in Kathiawar. The imposing investiture Darbar was held at 9 a. m. in the Hall of Bahauddin College.

On this auspicious occasion, deputation came from most of the States in Kathiawar and Gujrat. People from outside had gathered in the Junagadh town in unusually in large numbers.

His Highness the Nawab Sahib as the Ruler of the premier State in Kathiawar, ranks first in among the Princess and Chiefs of Kathiawar enjoying plenary powers and enjoys a personal salute of 15 guns, the permanent salute being 15 guns within, and 13 guns outside, Junagadh territory.

The Junagadh State can also be one of the leading Mohomedan State in India, for among the 18 Mohomedan Salute in India, the Junagadh State Ranks fifth in area, fourth in population, but ranks second in annual incomes.

Nawab sahib is the supreme and final authority in the state, and the general administration is conduct under his direction, though a large measure of the authority has been entrusted to Diwan sahib and other officers.

Soon after the assumption of full power by the Nawab Sahib, signs were perceptible which heralded the Dawn of a new and bright era. Nawab Sahib was place to make clear in intensions to train the people in the State in the art of Government by giving them opportunities to manage their local affairs.

So Nawab Sahib was graciously placed to abolish the exciting system of Revenue Patel’s and Village Committees and substitute in lieu their of Village Patel’s and Village Panchayats to be selected by the unfettered choice of the villagers themselves and His Highness was pleased to issue Hazur Farman dated 25th July. The Farman opens with the following memorable words:-

“The welfare and prosperity of the very large proportion of my people who are engaged in Agriculture is very near to my heart. The Khedut are the foundation of all the wealth of Junagadh. Motives of self-interest alone would compel me to regard them as of prime importance in the State and in any future development of its political institution.”

Nawab Sahib Desire to reform the then existing Municipality of the City and to entrust the Municipal Government to a body of nine members, nominated by the State, representing the different communities and a official President. The Bahadur Khanji library was placed under the control of the Municipality which has been furnished with a commodious Council Hall. The opening ceremony took place on 15th August at His Highness hand in a Darbar in a Shamiana erected before the Bahadur Khanji library.

The advantage was taken of the occasion by the subjects of the Junagadh State to present a public address in a fine casket to Nawab Sahib by way of an expression of and respectful and loyal greeting on the assumption of His Highness of the Government of the State with full powers. At the time of Investiture of His Highness, owing to indifferent health, it was decided to postpone the announcement of certain boons which are generally supposed to be connected with an Investiture ceremony. So Nawab Sahib in his interesting speech announced the following boons:-

1. All dues from cultivators up to August 31, 1918 are wiped off.

2. Grain compensation allowance will be permanently included in pay from September 1st next.

3. Pension to State servants on Rs 150/- or less will in future be reckoned on a basis on one half of pay instead on one third.

4. Primary education shall be free through out the State.

5. Secondary education up to and including St. V shall be free through out the State.

6. The tax on marriage is abolished.

7. All taxes on pilgrims levied by the State are abolished.

8. In addition to this I wish to give a special reward to those old servants of the State who were in services in the time of my father and have remained so continuously up to the present time, and I have decided that this shall take the form of month’s pay. This will apply to all ranks of State service.

As a result of the steps that was taken later on to the recast the Municipal system,

the new Municipal Act was brought into effect from 1st November 1933 A. D. A municipal Board under the Act consists of 13 nominated members with an official president.

The marriage of Nawab Sahib was arranged with Munuvvar Jahan Begum Sahiba, the grand-niece of Her Highness the Begum Sahiba of Bhopal. Boundless joy and enthusiasm prevailed among the people of the State and the city of Junagadh presented during the festivities a spectacle of gaiety unique in the annals of the State. On the 29th March 1921 Nawab Sahib accompanied by the Her Highness the Masaheba and other members of the royal family together with a large party of officials and Amirs, preceded to Bhopal by special train. The Nika ceremony was performed on the 3rd April and the party returns to Junagadh on the 7th April. The whole populace of Junagadh and other subjects of the State gathered together in thousand to give an ovation to His Highness the Nawab Sahib and Her Highness the Begum Sahiba and the witness the marriage procession and the illuminations. Inams were distributed to large number of Officers and Amirs on a grand scale. The happy memory of the auspicious occasion will long live in the mind of peoples.

During the visit of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales in Bombay in November 1921 A.D. His Highness the Nawab went to Bombay and attended various functions in connection with the Royal visit.

One of the thing that struck Nawab Sahib on his occasion to the Gadi was the educational backwardness of the children’s of the Amirs of the State. Therefore Nawab Sahib established MahabatKhan Madressa-Tulmualla with adequate but free educational residential and recreational facilities. The opening ceremony of the institution was performed by Nawab Sahib on 8th January 1922 A.D.

H.E. Sir George Ambrose Lloyd, Governor of Bombay arrived at Junagadh State by a special train on 1st of Feb 1922. On the 3rd of February His Excellency and His Highness camped in Gir at Talala for lion shooting. His Excellency left Junagadh for Palitana on the 4th Feb.

Major General His Highness Shri Sir Gangasinhji Maharaja Sahib of Bikanar and Lieut.Col, His Highness Shri Ranjit Sinhji, Maharaja Sahib of Jamnagadh arrived at Junagadh on the 16th of March 1922. Afterwards their Highness Went to Talala for lion shooting.

The Junagadh State Infantry, now called the Mahabat Khanji Infantry, is a newly organized force and has come into existence from 1st February 1924 A. D.

On the 1st January 1931 A. D. His Highness Nawab Sahib was awarded the Insignia of G. C. I. E. by his Imperial Majesty King Emperor. Official investiture ceremony whereof was performed by H. E. the Viceroy at Delhi on Thursday the 12th February 1931 A. D. His Highness arrival from Delhi was official, engine of the special train was duly decorated and also a few ford signals were put on the railway lines from Shakarbag Bridge just to announce the arrival of His Highness special train (on the 14th Feb. 1931 A. D.)

H.H has thus in spite of the shortness of His highness regime already endeared himself the people by sympathy to the poor and the afflicted no less then by his just and Liberal administration.

His Highness Col Nawab Muhammad Dilawar Khanji (Former Governor of Sindh) H.Q.A, P.M.A, The Medal of King Malik Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia (1959 A.D To 1989 A.D)

H.Q.A, P.M.A, The Medal of King Malik Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia 10th Nawab His Highness Col Nawab Muhammad Dilawar Khanji (Former Governor of Sindh)
H.Q.A, P.M.A, The Medal of King Malik Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia Was born on 23rd June 1922. In the age of six started his first education, Captain Harvey Jones was the first teacher. After few months he has transferred Captain William was appointed as a preceptor for Nawab Sahib and Abdul Rehman the principle of Maddarsat-ul-Molla was for Urdu language.

His Highness Nawab Muhammad Jahangir Khanji (1990 A.D )

The present Nawab of Junagadh His Highness Nawab Muhammad Jahangir Khanji started his primary education from Karachi Convent of Jesus and Mary, at the age of seven he was sent to Burn Hall a boarding school in the northern area, this missionary school run by European Roman Catholic fathers. Later Nawab sahib was went to Switzerland for higher education to Aiglon College & from Gstaad International School. Nawab Sahib also obtained a degree of Bachelor form Karachi University. He is a gold Medallist from the SKI Club of Switzerland in sking. 

He has been a keen sportsman who has won cups in rowing competition and water polo, football & fencing etc. He is also Black Belt in Martial Arts. 
He has also served as an advisor to the senior most executive of Sindh chief minister on matters concerning cultural, heritage and archeology.

Nawab Sahib has been a pattern for many N.G.O in Pakistan. He has also served as elected Presided of Junagadh State Muslim Federation in 1986, he was a member of committee called ‘Friends of Thar’ had invited Madam Carven from Paris to Karachi to hold a fashion show in which money was raised for the welfare of people of Thar.

The Nawab Sahib is the founder and first Chief Executive of the Nawab of Junagadh Foundation, which would work in a dedicated to serve of humanity. He had also serve as a private secretary of his father when he was Governor of Sindh.

Their hobbies are Photography, Art, Culture, Music and Cars. He believes in conversation of in echo system and a particular wild life. Intentions for the future are to fight for Junagadh, injustice and pollution. 

The Heir Apparent Nawabzada Ali Murtaza Khanji

Copyrights © 2019 Junagadh Secretariat. All rights reserved.